Friday, March 12, 2010

Faith

Most of you probably know that I enjoy writing. I want to make sure you know that I make no claims to being a teacher of the Word, theologian, or have any kind of Bible degree. I'm just a follower of Christ, that is trying daily to keep my heart open to what God is showing me in the reading of His Word. Then I get so excited, I just want to share my little glimpses with others. That's it, plain and simple. These are just inspirations from God in my daily life.

As I was reading the a passage in Matthew, I found something new, that I hadn't saw before. Let me share the scripture:

Then Jesus went out from there and departed to the region of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a woman of Canaan came from the region and cried out to Him, saying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon possessed." But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, "Send her away, for she cries out after us." But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Then she came and worshiped Him, saying "Lord help me!" But He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the little dogs." And she said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters' table." Then Jesus answered and said to her, "O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire." And her daughter was healed from that very hour. Matthew 15:21-28 NKJV(emphasis mine)


One of my first thoughts in reading this was, the fact, that Jesus did not answer when she first posed her question/plea. "He answered her not a word." I wonder, if deep down, it was hard for Jesus to keep silent. He knew, that by being silent, for the time being, He would be testing her faith and in a way, forcing it to increase! As a parent, when asked a question by my children, it's my normal response to answer them as soon as I possibly can. It would be so hard to keep silent. I can't imagine how Jesus did this. However, it reminds me that when I come to the Heavenly Father with my pleas, he does indeed hear them, but there may be a reason, He does not answer them right then. Just like Jesus did with this woman.

Second, (I just picked up on this after writing the passage above!) even though Jesus did not answer her the first time, she came back again, worshipping him and asking for his help. Wow! That's faith, not giving up when you don't get your answer. And to think she was right there, face to face with Jesus. Unlike us, who through faith, know that He is in heaven listening to our prayers. Can you imagine what it would be like, to be in a room with a person, ask them a question and know that they heard you, but they choose not to answer? If that happened to me, I would be disappointed, hurt and maybe a little hesitant about asking another question to someone who might not answer me. But this Canaanite woman, undaunted came back again, and poured out a little more of herself in asking Jesus for his help! Amazing! I think the difference is, knowing that you are not just talking to anyone, but our Lord and Savior and knowing that He loves us and we belong to Him. I believe that gives us the courage to come back if we don't hear anything the first time and ask again in faith.

Third, Jesus answered with a statement of his own, knowing this would elicit a response from the woman. He knew that her response would show how much faith she had in Him. For me, I am reminded that my Heavenly Father has heard my plea and there is a reason He is silent. He is wanting to see how much faith I have in Him. Then we see that, He responds in His own time and grants the request of the Canaanite woman, because of her faith. This just fills me with hope! That there is a reason for the "delay". God is just listening and waiting to answer (perhaps with a question or statement of His own) and wanting to see me continue to worship Him in FAITH!

I'm just amazed, that no matter how many times I can read the Bible, the Holy Spirit is so faithful to reveal the Word in a new way, so applicable for my life! Thank-you Heavenly Father!

Blessings to each of you. May you have the faith to continue in prayer and worship knowing that your Heavenly Father is listening, waiting and wanting to answer you!!



No comments: