
Last Friday evening, I sat up late and watched the opening ceremony for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. It was tremendous! The Parade of Nations, was extremely exciting. It took a long time, as there was nearly 200 nations that were competing in the games.
I sat in wonder, watching so many people from across the world come together in one building. It was fascinating watching their faces, seeing what their flag looked like and seeing their cultural attire. There were some countries that only had one person competing, then there were others that had several hundred athletes. Of course, I stayed up mainly until the United States of America marched in. I felt very proud of my country and the athletes representing us.
Through all of this, one thought kept coming back to me. God created each and everyone of these individuals, in His own image. He loves them and He cares about the people, whose country I didn't even know existed. I'm glad that I was able to catch a glimpse of the diversity of people from around the world. It is a reminder of how big God really is. I think so often, I try and put God in a box, and forget that His love and mercy is not just for me, but for everyone! I know I need to open my eyes and look beyond my corner of the world (or the Northwest Olympic Pennisula!)
John 3:16 simply reminds me, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." God's love not only extends across the ocean, but also to every generation. Wow! I'm blessed to serve such a big God!!
No comments:
Post a Comment