Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Scars

For years I have struggled with the fact, that I have scars all over my chest. The open heart surgery at age five, left me with a 6 inch scar down the center of my chest. The subsequent pacemaker that was implanted, left me with another 3 inch scar on my left shoulder, underneath my collarbone. I have yet another one round scar from the stomach tube they put in during my first surgery. It was hard growing up, knowing that I wasn't "perfect" like everyone else.

Several years ago, I finally started letting go of my "perfectionist" way of thinking and began to realize it didn't matter if people saw my scars or what they thought. After all, the scars are just a part of my life.

A few days ago, I had my 3 inch scar opened up again, for the doctors to implant my 4th pacemaker. I'm sure it will be a while, before this scar is healed up enough to look "nice" when it shows.

As I was reflecting on scars and surgery, I realized that there is a spiritual application as well. The world looks on the outward appearance of a person and places a high standard on looking "perfect". They think if they can portray themselves as looking like they have it all together, then no one will know what is really going on. They are covering up the hurt, pain, and sin they have in their lives. But in reality their being perfect, means they are "dead" to God.

As Christians, we have had surgery. God has given us forgiveness of our sin and cleansed us with Christ's blood. We are now "alive" in our Heavenly Father's eyes. But the incredible thing is, our forgiveness and new life, came from someones scars, Jesus Christ. He was nailed to the cross, and took on the weight of every sin in the world, just because He loved us and loved His father enough to do His will! Amazing!

"Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:4-5 NIV

1 comment:

arabelle marie said...

Beautiful and full of truth. Perfectionism is something that I've always had issue with, but know God has been working on that with me.