Saturday, August 8, 2009

Time marchs on...

For months now I've been blog-challenged! I've either lacked motivation, time, or subject material, and therefore, let myself take an extended break. Every week, I tell myself I need to write on my blog, and then I get busy, feel defeated because I can't come up with anything profound, so my Thursday Afternoon Letters have been neglected. So this post is an attempt to overcome those issues (and maybe get myself back in the writing groove!).
If any of you are friends with me on Facebook, you will know that a few weeks ago I posted something about being 3 cents off in my checkbook. It was driving me nuts at the time! A couple of weeks later, I found my mistake and fixed it. Then earlier this week, I was off again by 3 cents and finally discovered I had written down an entry wrong! (whew!) Now, I know this might sound absolutely comical to some, but this is one area that my perfectionist nature takes over. My house might be a mess with dishes piled in my sink and laundry waiting to be done, but my checkbook will balance! If I would have just left my mistake alone from a few weeks ago, and then not found this current one, I would have an increasing 6 cent error. Now a few pennies, I agree, aren't much, but left unbalanced, I'm sure my mistakes would grow over time and eventually, 6 cents could grow to 6 dollars, etc.
I was thinking that my "balanced" checkbook, could have some spiritual applications as well. When we are "off" or have "errors" in our lives, we become out of touch with God and others. If we let these things pile up over time, we increase our distance and grow further away from God. When we let pride, selfishness, and sin creep into our lives, then our spiritual checkbook becomes "unbalanced." Before we know it, our closeness with God has began to slip away. To get our lives back in "balance", we have to ask God, for His forgiveness. We need to make sure each day we "balance" with God and His Word!
I'm so incredibly grateful for the never-failing mercy and forgiveness of God, that can take away my "errors" and make me "balance" again!
"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

1 comment:

arabelle marie said...

Love your analogy of balancing. Life is a balance and small things can easily send it out of whack. Hope your day is blessed.