Today's inspiration, is kind of unique. I really didn't think I had anything to write about, but my kids gave my ample material! Let me give you some background on the situation. Earlier this afternoon, my children had been playing "dog". Austin was the canine, complete with leash, and Rebekah was the owner and who had even provided food in a bowl on the floor, for her pet! It was quite the scene. A little while later, I was in the kitchen, preparing to make dinner, when my daughter (who was mad at me!) told her brother to "bite mommy"! And of course my nearly three year old, who doesn't quite know how to decide things for himself, bit me! (precisely on my rump!) I was shocked. After I disciplined my daughter for giving him the crazy idea to begin with, and reminded my son, that he doesn't have to do everything his sister tells him to, I began to see the humor in it. By the time Chris got home, I couldn't keep a straight face while Rebekah told him why she was in trouble. (I know, my sense of humor is never very far away from me!!)
However, it did provide an excellent opportunity to explain to my children (especially Rebekah) that when someone else tells or dares you to do something, you don't have to do it. And since she is the big sister, she must watch what she says, because she has an influence over her brother. I wanted them to know that they can be able to decide things for themselves.
As I endeavor to teach my children the difference between right and wrong and peer pressure (like rejecting their sibling's crazy idea!) I want them to learn that they can go to God and read His Word for guidance. My Heavenly Father wants me to do the exact same thing. I want to daily come to Him, read His Word, and ask Him for wisdom and discernment.
"My son, if you receive my words, and treasure my commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom, and apply your heart to understanding, yes if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver and search for her as hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice, and preserves the way of His saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice, equity and every good path." Proverbs 2:1-9 NKJV (emphasis mine)
No comments:
Post a Comment