Monday, October 27, 2008

What kind of pine cone are you?


My son and I were passing through the seasonal department of Walmart the other day. I couldn't help but slow down, as soon as my nose detected the cinnamon aroma (yummy!). I took a deep breath and savored that incredible scent. I absolutely love the cinnamon scented pine cones, that they always have out around this time of year. I've been hesitant to buy any so far, but that is mostly due to the fact, of how my husband might react to such things. (I'm afraid my purchase would be banished from the house and the garage!-ha!)



Later on that day, I was thinking about those pine cones. They are so infused with cinnamon, that you can't miss smelling them. They completely permeate the department that they are in. But isn't that exactly how we as Christians should be? We should be so infused with the Spirit and God's love, that the world should be able to detect "God's aroma" in our lives. God's presence should be spilling over so much, that the people we encounter each day (friends, family, and acquaintances) immediately notice that we are different. When we live and walk close to Jesus Christ, then the world can see (or "smell) the difference and want what we have in our lives.


I guess we could ask ourselves the following questions: Am I walking close to God? Am I showing God's love, kindness, gentleness, humility in my life? Do others around me notice that my life is different? Or am I just "another pine cone" with no scent, no different than the world?


I hope that we all can be "cinnamon scented" or "God scented" pine cones. We need to be so that we can truly minister to world around us, that is so much in need of God's saving grace. Ask God to fill you completely, so you can be that " scented pine cone".

"Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing." II Corinthians 2:14-15

Hmm, perhaps, I will purchase some of those pine cones, before the season is over (they are really growing on me!). I'm not sure what to do with my hubby, maybe I will just hand him a clothespin (to tweak his nose with) and I will sit back and enjoy that wonderful cinnamon aroma.................................

1 comment:

1 Loved Family! said...

I'd like to see Chris with a clothespin on his nose :). That reminds me of when we took the child birth classes before Jonathan was born and the used clothespins on your ears to demonstrate the pain of childbirth...yea I'd like to know who came up with that idea...not even close!!!!! :) I guess they don't want to completely scare you!