This past Sunday, our pastor shared the a scripture from Luke 18:9-14.
"Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others; Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself to God, I thank You that I am not like other men-extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess. And the the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner! I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
It seemed like these words just went straight to my heart, convicting it. Our pastor pointed out, that the Pharisee, actually mentions the pronoun "I" five times when praying! It was all about what he was doing...and how good he was. The tax collector felt so unworthy to even raise his eyes, and he knew it was all about God, not himself.
I realized that the Holy Spirit was nudging me to take note. There was so much to be gained by reading and applying this passage to my life. I often go to prayer, forgetting about the important stuff, and start with "I". How wrong I am! It's all about God. There is nothing I can do, do gain favor with him. I am a sinner and need His forgiveness in my life, but I can't earn it!!! It is a free gift, with Jesus Christ paying the full price. It cost Him his life, so that my life can be saved.
How humbling! It makes me see the full picture and glimpse Calvary once again through God's eyes. I know that God has forgiven me of my sins and is at work in my life. But I never want to think that it's because of my good works that He loved me and saved me (that is what the Pharisee thought!). Whatever is accomplished in my life now, is all because of Him. I'm am nothing on my own. More than anything I want to make sure my attitude always is in line with Christ's and that I dont' fall into the trap of pride.
My prayer for this week:
Heavenly Father,
It's all because of your son dying on Calvary that any of us have any hope of salvation. Thank-you for this incredible gift. I'm not worthy of it. May your Holy Spirit be active and at work in my life.....keeping my eyes focused solely on you. Because it's all about giving you the glory and honor that you deserve. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment