Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Mountains of Thanksgiving...


This is not your usual Thanksgiving post. I often think outside the box, and this was running through my mind the other night.

I have had the privilege of living on the West Coast, for about twenty plus years. For part of my life, my family and I lived in Paradise, California, surrounded by the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. This is where I consider home (I still miss it lots) but what I really enjoyed while living there, were the views from the Upper Ridge of the various buttes and hills, especially, Sawmill Peak. There is definitely a rugged beauty there, that I absolutely love.

Then for a another few years of my life, we lived in Southern California, with the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains (that make up the Angeles National Forest) forming part of the southern border of the Antelope Valley. They were incredible to gaze at, and so much fun in the winter months because the ski areas were lit up at night.


The four and half years in Tacoma, Wa., completely spoiled me, as there was at least several days a week, you could see the majestic, Mt. Rainer. That mountain was AMAZING! Just seeing the snow filled cap, filled me with awe.


Now, that we live in Sequim, we have to the Olympic Mountains to gaze at. It cheers my spirit in the morning, when I take my daughter to school, to glance up at the peaks, and this time of year, they are covered in white. It is quite breathtaking! I consider it a very big blessing to have lived in so many beautiful spots over the years especially so close to the mountains.


These majestic mountains remind of me how insignificant I am. However, I also am reminded, that the same person that created the mountains, CREATED ME, loves me, and cares about me! One of my favorite scriptures, over the years, has been Psalms 121:1 & 2.

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."


So this Thanksgiving, I am grateful for the mountains. They have been close by, throughout my journey here on the West Coast. They daily remind me of that my help comes from Lord, Creator of the heaven and earth.

I'm thankful most of all, that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that I have a relationship with Him. I'm especially thankful for my husband, Chris, and wonderful children Rebekah and Austin. I was also blessed by the visit from my parents a couple of weeks ago.(I love to be surrounded by my family!) And I'm so glad for the wonderful memories I had a chance to make with my brother, Charles. It was a privilege to have a brother like him while growing up. (I miss him most around the holidays!)

I'm also grateful for my husband's new job that brought us here 11 months ago, and for the answered prayers that this past year has brought. I've been blessed by my extended family and wonderful friends, that have made my life so amazing! I hope each of you have a wonderful and warm Thanksgiving, surrounded by the people you love.....................


The above picture is of Mt. Rainer, from Bonney Lake, Wa. It's not a very good one and doesn't do it justice. It was taken in March/April 2008.

No comments: