Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Change .....
















I'm sorry, that once again, I'm a little behind with my weekly writing. It seems like Fall has descended upon us, here in the Pacific Northwest. I enjoyed the first few days of "fall" like weather, but now the clouds and fog are beginning to depress me. (how will I survive winter too??) Combine the weather with a my first cold of the season, and I have not got a lot accomplished this week. But here is a little of what has been floating around in my head.


I've been thinking about "change" for a while now. I'm sure it's partly because of autumn, and the start of school, etc. Seems like everything in life, centers around this one word. God definitely ordained change. Our whole world is centered around it. But I keep coming back to this one question, Why is it so hard to embrace change? Whenever I think about change, I think about the scripture in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. These verses, make me realize that God has change all balanced out.

"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, a time to laugh; a time to mourn, a time a to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to gain, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to throw away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."
I can understand and relate to change in my spiritual life, but I often struggle to embrace it in the physical realm. The reason I think, I struggle with change, is because I CAN'T CONTROL IT! (I think deep down, I must be a "control freak"! Why else would it be so hard to admit?) Change is uncontrollable and it just happens. Embracing it means, I am opening myself up to feeling pain that goes along with change.

I don't want my kids to grow up and change. I don't want to grow old. I don't like losing people I love. I don't enjoy moving, and some of the hardships of making new friends, finding a new church and putting down new roots. I don't know what will change in our current unstable economy or who will become our next president. I don't like it when people change their view from God's word, and embrace worldly views and lifestyles.

The only thing I can cling to in this world where change is inevitable, is this: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever." ( Hebrews 13:9) When I know that everything around me in this uncontrollable world is changing, I can rest assured that one I have most confidence and trust in, will never change. That is such a comfort. I know that God has instituted balance in times of change and I have to trust Him. Even when it means giving up the reigns of "control" that I'm so fearful to let go of. "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven...."

No comments: